Raw Food Recipes Inspired by: Nourished by Nanette at the Covington Farmers Market
2 perfectly ripe avocados
3 tomatoes, diced
spicy pepper, diced, to taste
1/4 yellow onion, diced
3 cloves fresh garlic, minced
fresh cilantro, chopped, to taste
2 tsp fresh lime juice
6-8 large lettuce leaves
In a medium sized bowl, mash the avocado.
Add remaining ingredients and stir until well mixed.
Spread onto lettuce leaves and wrap. Enjoy!
How to Make Your Own Raw Almond Milk
1 cup of raw almonds
honey as sweetener to taste (optional)
Place the almonds in a bowl and cover with about an inch of water. Let sit uncovered in a cool, dark place where it won’t be disturbed for up to two days. The longer is soaks the creamier it is.
Drain and rinse the almonds in cool water. Place the almonds in a blender with 2 cups of water and blend at the highest speed for about 2 minutes. Pulse the blender to break up any chunks.
Strain this mixture with a cheese cloth or nut bag, pressing all of the liquid out of the almond meal. You should get about two cups. The left-over almond meal can be used to make all kinds of treats!
Sweeten to taste. Raw homemade almond milk can only last about two days refrigerated, but taste best freshly made and chilled.
Cool Serving Ideas for Living Beverages
From Kombucha Girl Living Beverage, at the Covington Farmers Market
1. Add to fresh juices and smoothies
2. Combine with fresh fruit and freeze into popsicles or ice cubes. Get creative with your favorite living beverages/fruit combinations and create a cool, probiotic treat.
3. Add to homemade salad dressings Kombucha that has become more vinegary tasting adds a nice light flavor to homemade salad dressings.
4. Use instead of water to make jello The trick to this is to make sure you do not heat your living beverage above 100 degrees, otherwise you will have a non-living beverage.
5. Use as a mixer for cocktails