Local History: the Covington Heart Pine Knot House

It is the 100-year-old pine knot sanctuary-haven that sits just off the highway on the old Warner home property in west Covington. The shed, about 16 feet by 16 feet, features walls of intertwined heart pine knots, a tin roof, and a dirt floor, with gates leading out of the front and back…

Read More

Local History: a Tribute to Postcards

Many of the historical photographs from 100 or so years ago we have today only because they were printed on postcards. Through the wonder of that new-fangled gadget, the camera (and the fascination that came with it) people suddenly felt in love with photographs of just about anything and everything in day-to-day life.

Read More

Local History: Covington in the 1940s and 1950s by Phil Pfeffer

The memories of day-to-day life in Covington in the 1940’s and 1950’s were written down by Phil Pfeffer, a graduate of Covington High School in 1958. Here is what he shared about those times from 70 years ago.

Read More

Local History: Historical Markers of St. Tammany – Part 3

According to the Historical Marker Project website, there are 45 historical markers in St. Tammany Parish. They share a variety of historical highlights across the area, giving us an idea of the people and places that contributed to early St. Tammany. Here is their list, with links to the individual pages to the markers.

Read More

Local History: The Division of St. John Becomes a Historic District

In 1982, the City of Covington filed an application with the National Registry of Historic Places asking that the “Division of St. John,” Covington’s historic downtown area, be placed on the national register. It was granted that status in December of 1982.

Read More