This week’s pic “Moon Over Watertank” was submitted by Ron Barthet Submit your photo for “Pic of the Week” by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org, posting on
The memories of day-to-day life in Covington in the 1940’s and 1950’s were written down by Phil Pfeffer, a graduate of Covington High School in 1958. Here is what he shared about those times from 70 years ago.
According to the Historical Marker Project website, there are 45 historical markers in St. Tammany Parish. They share a variety of historical highlights across the area, giving us an idea of the people and places that contributed to early St. Tammany. Here is their list, with links to the individual pages to the markers.
In the early years of the 20th century, the city scape of Covington underwent significant changes because of fires raging through the downtown area. Four fires between 1898 and 1911 changed the character of Covington’s central business district.
In 1982, the City of Covington filed an application with the National Registry of Historic Places asking that the “Division of St. John,” Covington’s historic downtown area, be placed on the national register. It was granted that status in December of 1982.