The Municipal General Election is August 15, 2020. Covington will be voting on a runoff for City Council-at-Large position. Candidates are “Rick” Smith (R) and “Steve” Stokes (R). Early voting is happening now until August 8th. Voting hours are from 8:30 am to 6:00 pm at the St. Tammany Justice Center Parking Garage, 601 N. Jefferson Ave.
The following is important information for the Saturday, August 15, 2020 Municipal General Election provided by the Louisiana Secretary of State’s Office:
- The deadline to register to vote in person or by mail is July 15.
- The deadline to register to vote through the GeauxVote Online Registration System is July 25.
- Early voting has been extended by one week in accordance with the Emergency Election Plan and is now July 25-Aug. 8 (excluding Sunday, July 26 and Sunday, Aug. 2) from 8:30 a.m.-6 p.m.
- The deadline to request an absentee by mail ballot is Aug. 11 by 4:30 p.m. You can request an absentee by mail ballot online through our Voter Portal or in writing through your Registrar of Voters Office (other than military and overseas voters).
- The deadline for a registrar of voters to receive a voted mail ballot is Aug. 14 by 4:30 p.m. (other than military and overseas voters).
PURPOSE OF THIS ELECTION: The purpose of the August 15, 2020 municipal general election is to allow voters in some parishes to vote in run-off elections for local municipal offices and certain parishes to vote on special proposition elections.
DATE: Saturday, August 15, 2020
Follow these topics: Local News